Adare was built in the 13th century as a heritage town on the Maigue river. It was a market town in the Middle Ages. In the 18th century the thatched houses that Adare is known for were built by the Earl of Dunraven. In 1232 the church built a monastery which was later restored in 1852 by the Countess of Dunraven. This interesting project created by Maurice Hannigan and Sean Salamh provides information on the history of the towns Castle and Manor.
To view Maurice and Sean’s project please click this link:
Click on this link to view more interesting facts about the village of Adare: